How to Record an ISO on USB or CD
Recording an ISO image on USB or CD / DVD has many uses. If you do it with a Windows ISO you can boot the PC and install it from those devices.
Three important things
- The USB or CD / DVD you use must be empty. The recording will erase everything they contain irreversibly.
- The USB must have at least 4 GB. If you use a disc, it has to be a DVD, which usually has 4.7 GB. You will NOT be able to use a CD, which only has 700 MB (0.68 GB).
- If you need it you can create a Windows ISO from its installation DVD .
Now you can follow these steps:
- Insert the empty USB or CD / DVD.
- Download the tool for USB / DVD . Press Download . And save the tool on your disk.
- Go to the folder where you downloaded it. Find the file Windows7-USB-DVD-tool and double click on it. Confirm that you want to execute it if necessary. That starts an installation wizard. Press Next in the first window. Then Install in the next one. Finish with Finish .
- A direct access to the tool is created in the Windows Desktop . It’s called Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool . Double click on it. You can use this tool with Windows 10 , 8.1, 8, Windows 7, XP SP2 and Vista. Do not worry because you put Windows 7.
- On the main screen of the program, click the Browse button . Locate the ISO file using the disk explorer that opens. When you find it, double click on it. Press Next . Do you get the notice? The selected file is not valid ISO file. Please select a valid ISO file and try again ? In that case, close the notice and the program. Then click on this link to see another way to record the ISO using the Rufus program .
- If you do not notice any error, now you must choose between creating a USB or a DVD by clicking on the buttons on the bottom right USB device or DVD , respectively.
- The tool detects the device …
- If you have chosen USB
A drop-down list with the available USBs is displayed. Choose the right one if you have more than one connected. Then press Begin copying.
- Note: Use the “refresh” button to the right of the drop-down list when the USB does not appear. Still missing? Check that it is properly connected and press the refresh button again.
- If you have chosen the DVD, click on the Begin Burning button .
- If you have chosen USB
- The copy takes a little time. More or less depending on how fast your PC and the device or the disc recorder are.
- Close the program when the progress bar reaches 100% and you see the text “Bootable USB device / DVD created successfully.”
Do you get this error at the end?
Files copied successfully. However, we were unable to run bootsect to make the USB device bootable. If you need assistance with bootsect, please click the “Online Help” link above for more information .
Press the Start over button and try again to record the USB / DVD. If you give that error again, try the Rufus program.
Is it better to burn the ISO on a USB or a CD / DVD?
In general, it is better to do it on a USB. There are more and more teams (especially laptops) that do not have disc players. In them, and also in those that do, you can use USB. The opposite is impossible, as is obvious. And also a USB is easier to transport.
I would only recommend burning it to a CD / DVD if your computer does not allow booting from USB. It happens on some old PCs.